For numerous cases of lawn maintenance, the time spent mowing your land can be therapeutic and relaxing. However, this can quickly become a bore if you have a large lawn – unless you consider getting a large zero turn mower, such as the 72 inch mowers.
Using a 72-inch mower is a great choice, especially if you have a lawn that is at least 3 acres – because you can do the job quickly. They will also trim any obstacles more efficiently than smaller zero turns mowers because the deck is long enough to stick out the sides of the mower. The frame and tires are also wide enough to allow mowing of slopes, even as high as 15 degrees. They also have front casters and larger tires to operate better on rougher lawns.
The problem with choosing a specific mower is the variety available on the market, which can seem too many, and yet the thought of cutting the grass on your large lawn can be discouraging. However, you do not need to struggle trying to find the best 72-inch deck mower for your job, because we have done much of the job for you by selecting the best 4 options.
Note: Since many of these mowers are unavailable on Amazon, we will link the manufacturer websites where you can check them out.
The best 72-inch zero turn mowers
Snapper 2691319 360z mower – best commercial mower
- The integrated rear cargo bed makes this zero turn more versatile than ever before. Plus, the rails allow for the use of aftermarket ATV accessories and two pre-determined cutouts provide easy insertion of a wooden 2x4 For a convenient removable tailgate.
- A fully-welded steel frame, thick-walled front axle, durable mower deck, and ball bearings in the caster spindles ensure durability and a great cut.
- High performance engine options mean you will have reliable Zero turn power Year after year.
- A durable fabricated steel mower deck for non-stop mowing season after season. All fabricated decks come with a limited lifetime . See operator's manual or dealer for complete details.
- The commercial-style foot-operated mower deck Lift easily lifts and adjusts the mower deck between 13 height-of-cut positions from 1. 5 to 4. 5 inches.
- Tri-plate construction and tough cutting blade spindles to ensure durability and reliability
- Velocity Plus mechanism to cut anything from weeds to grasses
- Adjustable custom-cut baffle
- Cast iron spindles
- Front baffle chamber that lifts the grass before cutting
- Replaceable wear pad for deck protection
- Nine anti-scalp rollers
- 3-year warranty
The specs here re clearly very competitive and top-notch, and the mower is very tough in order to last in the hardest of conditions. Its suspension system, drive mechanism, and engine are similar to other top professional mowers in the industry.
Other than these aspects, the mower is built to last, and has a straightforward design to make it easier for you to work with it. The only issue we have is that its length can make it awkward when you are navigating some obstacles, even though it is tough and can last for hours even after running them intensely.
The ease of maintenance is primarily due to the shaft design of the cutter deck, rather than using a belt driven systems. The only improvements that can be useful here is increasing of the fuel capacity, as well as shortening the length, because it only holds 10 gallons of fuel.
- A variety of sizes that will cater to your needs
- Uses gas, diesel, or propane as fuel
- Powerful mechanism
- Very strong and durable frame
- Easy to operate and maintain
- Quite expensive
- Can be awkward when navigating obstacles
This is a good choice of a zero turn mower, despite the challenge of its high cost and length. Its build and quality assures you of many years of service, as long as you handle it well.
Hustler Turf zero turn mower – our pick
- Powerful Kawasaki 23 HP V-Twin engine delivers smooth output, quieter operation, and outstanding durability
- 52 in fabricated steel deck and frame offers superior strength and durability
- Exclusive SmoothTrak Steering for precise and smooth steering control
- 5-year warranty
- Also available in 66”, 60”, and 54” decks
- Mowing speed of 14mph
- Uses a Kawasaki engine of 27 HP to 35 HP
- VX4 Deck to enhance the quality of your cut
- I3M suspension seat with adjustable armrests and back
There are a variety of configurations that the Turf uses, which will determine its power and cutting deck. Regardless of the specific engine and settings you select, you will still get a maximum operation speed of 14 mph.
All Turf mowers and engines are heavy duty, and the frame allows you to use the machine even in the toughest areas without experiencing breakdowns. Other than the frame and engine, all its tires are thick enough to endure abuse from various environments.
The large tires will not just offer comfort during operation though, but also increase the safety levels by distributing the weight efficiently. Its comfortable seats will also make it easier for you to operate, and the armrests will take pressure off your arms.
- Comfortable to use
- Sturdy frame and very secure engine
- High fuel capacity
- Easy to maintain
- Very fast and good cut quality
- None noted so far
The Super Z comes with plenty of advantages, such as the large tires, smooth steering, and very responsive drive; making it among the top picks of your to-do list.
Husqvarna MZ61 – best for budget buys
- 24 HP Kawasaki engine provides reliable startups and high ground speeds
- Roll-over protection system (ROPS) ensures safer operation in all conditions
- Fabricated 11-gauge steel cutting deck offers an excellent 61 in. cut with an ergonomically designed deck lifting system for quick and easy adjustments from the operator’s seat
- Clippings can be discharged, mulched or bagged with a 9-bushel triple bag collection system (mulching kit and bagger attachment sold separately)
- High-back seat with armrests, foam-padded hand grips and vibration dampeners make mowing comfortable for hours on end
- Uses a ZT-2200 transmission mode
- 18-inch high seat for enhanced back comfort
- A cutting deck measuring 10-gauges
- Uses a Kawasaki FR-series motor, specifically a twin-cylinder setup
- Fuel tank capacity of 3.5 gallons
This mower is the most budget-friendly option on this list, which makes it a great option for you if you have a large lawn but do not want to spend too much on its maintenance. With that said, we do not mean that the specs are nothing to write home about.
Among the impressive aspects is the use of a twin-cylinder Kawasaki FR engine, as well as a cutting deck with a length of 10-gauges and use of a ZT-2200 transmission mechanism. The cutting width is also wide enough to handle a variety of lawn surfaces, which allows you to mow your surfaces at high speeds at all times.
- Very comfortable seating and armrests
- Very wide cutting area
- Offers you a chance to use multiple cutting styles
- High-quality transmission and motor
- None noted so far
When using a zero turn mower, comfort is a very major factor to look at, because of the time you spend mowing your grass. This mower is among the most comfortable models in the market, which you will not regret.
What to consider when you select a lawnmower?
When you want to get a new lawnmower, regardless of what size it is, you will need to understand the things you should look out for when considering it. This is because improvements in these lawnmowers have led to their increasing complexity, so you need one that you are sure works for you, even if you are considering zero turn mowers alone.
They are also expensive, so it is essential to make a good investment when choosing one.
Also denoted as HP (horsepower), this is a measure of the strength of your engine, which will then determine its functionality. It is important to choose a mower that has a high horsepower, because they will ease the process and reduce the time you spend mowing your grass.
If your lawn happens to have some unevenness or is in a hilly area, then a higher horsepower will be more efficient, because it eases the process of cutting the grass.
Regardless of the zero turn mower you choose, the cutting deck is important to think about. The larger the width, the less time you will spend cutting your grass.
According to various experts dealing with a variety of zero turn mowers, the best size of the deck is between 50 and 60 inches because it will move through a variety of obstacles easily. The 72 inch decks are great as well, although they are more suited to very large lawns – usually with a size of more than 5 acres. In addition, larger decks are more comfortable to use when you are mowing your lawn.
Zero turn mowers are unique from other mowers because they accomplish transmission through their dual lever system. Therefore, you need the most ergonomic lever system as much as possible, in order to give you more maneuverability and control. Before you make that purchase, ensure you check the specifications to see if the transmission is ergonomic.
This might not seem as important as the other factors on this list, but it is also important to keep in mind. It is always more preferable to use a mower that is portable, because it makes moving it around and storing it much easier. It will also help you reduce the costs of maintenance and repair because you can keep it away as the seasons change.
The zero turn mowers will have a variety of differing fuel choices, which are propane, diesel, gasoline, and flex-fuel. As this depends on your preferences, it is best to go for lawnmowers that will allow you to fuel easily and save fuel, and the best option is the system of electronic fuel injections.
Type of mower
Not all zero turn mowers are equal, as there are 3 main types of these mowers. The choice you make depends on your needs, as well as what you prefer. They are:
Consumer grade – these are strictly meant for a small residential lawn, and it has components that are not as friendly for servicing.
Mid-level zero turn/Semi commercial zero turns – an enhancement of the consumer grade, and has an engine of better quality.
Commercial – these are the biggest category, and are meant for large lawns.
There are very many zero turn mowers you can get, although the 72-inch ones are harder to find and more expensive. There is no need to feel overwhelmed though, as these tips and knowing the considerations for your choice will help you make the decision that is best for you.
What are zero turn mowers?
These mowing machines are similar to regular mowers, although the difference is that they can turn on a zero degree angle. This means you can turn in a complete circle without the need for extra space.
Are they equipped with braking systems?
Yes, and you can use these systems when you need to stop them. However, their braking mechanism is slightly different because you move the steering wheels to a neutral position.
How can I steer them?
A zero turn mower operates on the forward and backward motion of a lever system, so you can steer them through pushing the lever slightly forward, toward the opposite side you are turning to.