If you happen to own a large yard and want to keep it looking neat and beautiful, then the task of maintenance is a major one – and it can easily become a chore instead of an enjoyable activity. That is where a zero turn mower steps in, so that you can cut your lawn grass easier while keeping it looking attractive for a longer time.
There are numerous varieties of lawnmowers today, including zero-turn types. 5 acres is a large piece of land to care for, and it easily becomes difficult to accomplish if you lack the best tools for your task, which means that the zero turn mower is your best option. Before setting the time to look for them though, it is important to know the kind of zero turn mowers you are looking for in the first place.
The good news though is that we have chosen four options in the market that you can use, and which also happens to be great for a 5-acre lawn. We will also look at the varieties of zero turn mowers, so that you have a better idea of what to look for.
Note: Because most of these mowers are unavailable on Amazon, we will link the manufacturer websites for those that are affected.
Best Zero Turn Mower for 5 Acre Lawns
Husqvarna MZ61 HP B&S mower – Our Top Choice
- Husqvarna 61 in. zero-turn lawn mower from the MZ series delivers commercial-grade power and amazing ergonomics
- 27 HP Briggs Endurance engine provides reliable startups and high ground speeds
- Fabricated 11-gauge steel cutting deck offers an excellent 54 in. cut with an ergonomically designed deck lifting system for quick and easy adjustments from the operator’s seat
- Clippings can be discharged, mulched or bagged with a 9-bushel triple bag collection system (mulching kit and bagger attachment sold separately)
- High-back seat with armrests, foam-padded hand grips and vibration dampeners make mowing comfortable for hours on end
- 5-gallon V-Twin engine that runs on 27 HP of power
- Deck lifting system on a 61-inch cutting deck with three blades
- Air induction technology
- Removable foot pan and zero turn hydraulic wheel drive
You might struggle with your mower because it fails to respond when you try to start it, but the Husqvarna MZ61 does not have the same issue. It will start once you turn its key, regardless of whether it is cold or warm. Note that it will not start unless you seat on its seat, as the company has installed this safety measure to avoid injuries.
The motor itself uses a 27-horse power structure, and its full tank capacity goes up to 5 gallons. This allows it to cut a minimum of 4 acres even at high speed, which is only a feature of the best zero turn mowers. However, as much as this is exciting because of its potential, it takes some time getting used to it because of its speed when you are using the controls, causing skidding and danger ahead – so use it slowly if it is your first few times.
The wheels are the trickiest aspect, because they appear to skid easily even from first impressions. However, this is not always the case, as the unmarking is meant to make turning easier.
- Has plenty of safety controls
- Powerful engine
- Its high seat has vinyl covering to enhance comfort
- Wheels enhance the speed and precision of the turn
- Easy height adjustment
- Even though the blades are adjustable, they might not do well for tall grass
- Quite Costly
- Can tend to skid at first before you get used to it
The Husqvarna MZ61 is an easy standout from other zero turn mowers, because of its high efficiency and speeds.
Troy-Bilt XP 60-inch mower – best for long mowing sessions
- Powered by a thrilling 25HP Briggs & Stratton commercial turf engine
- Equipped with a durable 60-inch fabricated deck
- Electric "Power Take Off" for fast and easy blade engagement
- This zero-turn mower provides precise maneuverability for unbeatable productivity
- Backed by a 3-year limited warranty
- Uses a 25HP B&S commercial engine
- Easier blade engagement due to electric ‘Power Take Off’ mechanism
- Has a durable 60-inch deck with side discharge capability
- 3-year limited warranty
- Comfortable due to dual suspension strings and 18-inch high back seat
- Long lasting caster wheels
This mower features an extra-large 60-inch cutting deck to make your mowing easier, and its durability is assured thanks to the heavy-duty steel frame. The mower uses a 25 HP engine, which ensures that it lasts on duty for a long time even when mowing your lawn, and promotes easier blade engagement through the superior ‘Power Take Off’ technology.
Due to the use of adjustable lap bars, these are integrated alongside the safety features. Along with this, the 3-year warranty indicates that this is a mower you can trust.
- Durable build and powerful engine
- Very accurate driving and mowing
- Comfortable seat
- Large cutting deck
- It has inefficiencies in heavy towing capacity due to EZT transmissions
This mower is a great option for you, as it comes with a large deck, loads of power and torque and a dependable engine capacity.
Ariens IKON-X 52” 915223 lawn mower – best in versatility
- 4” deep fully fabricated with advanced airflow for an exceptional cutting performance.
- The plush, high back seat featuring padded arm rests is adjustable from the operator position providing superior comfort while mowing.
- Choose from 13 cutting positions, from 1½” to 4½”, in quarter-inch increments with just the turn of a dial.
- 13 cutting settings, which range from 1.5 inches to 4.5 inches
- Smoother cutting sensation, thanks to vibration dampening
- 4-point suspension system that cuts grass evenly
- High armrest and backrest to minimize vibrations
- EZT transaxles to improve the reaction timing
The best aspect we find in this mower is its effortless mowing job, even in the most demanding of situations – such as a golf course. This is due to its 23hp Kawasaki 726cc engine, which makes it more powerful compared to other corded electric lawn mowers. The engine capacity also halves the cutting time, and makes trimming the biggest lawn to be a breeze.
In addition, this mower is among the most versatile options today, because it can handle a variety of cutting tasks. In fact, the package includes 3 knives, which you can adjust easily when you want to change the cutting height. Additionally, the adjustment process is made easier and more accurate due to the elimination of the old system of ‘pin and lever’.
Additionally, the mower is great for both amateurs and professionals, because of its equipping with two hydrostatic EZT transaxles that enhance its reaction timing and improves trimming. In order to increase the stability of its platform, it also includes a 4-point suspension system with a twin arm lift that cuts the grass as evenly as possible.
- Comes with an affordable price tag
- Very durable build
- Easy to drive
- It maintains high torque and power even at low speeds
- Can cut grass even on edges due to the deck structure
- It lacks headlights
- It has challenges when moving up a hill due to the short wheelbase
This mower is very easy to use and versatile enough to handle many operations, while the price range is affordable enough for those on a budget.
Swisher ZTR2360KA Gen 2 mower – best in durability
- Patented rapid response control system for improved comfort and control
- 23 HP (726cc) Kawasaki Engine
- 60-In cutting deck WITH 3 Gator mulching blades
- Hydro Gear 2800 transmissions and Ogura clutch
- 8 gallon fuel capacity
- Has a patented rapid response system to give more control and comfort during use
- Fuel capacity of 8 gallons
- 23 HP engine type
- Ogura clutch and hydro gear 2800 transmission
- Cutting deck of 60 inches
Its build quality is excellent, and its frame is reliable and strong due to being comprised of commercial grade welded steel. The high back seat along with arm rests makes it comfortable, and this is enhanced through the cup holder, battery compartment, and integrated storage.
This mower is gas powered, and uses a Kawasaki V-Twin 23 HP 726cc engine, which you operate through the reliable Ogura clutch system. It has a large deck as well that measures 60 inches, and has three blades to help you in your mowing tasks – in addition to the adjustment height ranging from 1.5 to 4.5 inches. It also has a large fuel tank that measures 8 gallons, and it has a hitch at both its back and front for easier operation.
- Frame is made from commercial grade steel
- Electric starting
- Large engine capacity
- Has a variety of storage compartments
- None noted so far
This mower is meant to last for a long time to come, and it is quite the investment, as long as you take proper care of the mower.
What to look for when choosing the best zero turn mowers for 5 acres
The size of the deck
There are many sizes that the zero turn mower can come in, which make the deck size important to consider when choosing one. The larger the land area is, the bigger you will need the deck to be.
If your land area is less than an acre, then you can work fine with a 42” deck or less, and 44” decks are best for 2 acres. If you are handling a land area bigger than 2 acres, then you need a deck that measures from 48” to 61”, while a 72” deck will cater to a land size larger than 5 acres.
The class of the mower
The class of mower you choose will be determined by the frequency of mowing you will follow. If you are mowing only once a week, then an economy mower is fine, because its parts are not strong enough to handle too frequent usage.
The opposite is true for industrial or commercial zero turns, which are much stronger and can cut grass for more than 40 hours a week.
Mower cutting time vs. speed
If your need is to cut the grass in a hurry, or if you are limited on time, then the mower’s speed is important to consider. However, this does not necessarily mean that the mower cuts grass faster because it has a top speed.
There are mowers that can go up to 8 mph while only cutting at half the speed. Therefore, you will not save time if you need multiple passes in order to achieve a perfect lawn.
How the mower handles slopes
You may wonder whether these mowers handle slopes well – but the answer is that it depends on the slope. The wider the deck of the mower is, the better it will handle hilly terrain because of its bigger traction – so if you are using it on a steep slope, avoid a mower that has a deck of less than 42 inches.
In general, zero turn mowers are not recommended for slopes greater than 10 degrees, since they can become unstable.
Purchasing a zero turn mower is quite the investment because of their cost, but it is worth putting in the research to ensure you will not regret the decision. Pay particular attention to the size of your own property, as well as the mower’s deck size and horsepower, to ensure your choice works for you.
What are zero turn mowers?
These mowers are those that can turn within zero inches or a zero-degree turn radius. They are different from the traditional mower because they can turn around without needing too much space. The result is the creation of crisp cutting patterns, which is due to the mower cutting the grass in the direction it bends, and reduction of redirections and time wastage.
If you have a large lawn, such as one of 5 acres, these mowers are more helpful than a traditional mower because you will spend less effort and time in maintaining your lawn.
Why do they cost more than traditional mowers?
This is primarily because zero turn mowers use two hydrostatic transmissions, instead of one. They also have tougher frames, bigger decks, and larger engines.
Do zero turn mowers have a braking system?
Yes, since this will help you to stop them when necessary. However, their braking mechanism is different from what you find in ordinary mowers, because you will need to move both their steering wheels to the neutral position, rather than relying on foot brake pedals.
How can I lift a zero turn mower?
Due to their weight, the best way is through using a floor jack or tractor.